Tuesday, August 7, 2012

An eventful night.....

Last night was eventful.  At about 5:00 I changed Munchkin2's diaper only to find blood in it.  This is a very scary thing to see, especially since there was not a trace the last diaper change.  Needless to say we took her to the Urgent Care near our house.  Urgent Care was packed, what I didn't realize was it was the last day to get sports physicals for the local school.

We sate there forever and they finally called her back to get her vitals but did not have a room for her.  They did however attach a bag inside her diaper to try to get a urine sample.  They then sent us back out to the waiting room.  Once they had a room available and we were called back the bag still didn not have urine in it but did have blood in it.  Not very encouraging.  The doctor told us there was nothing he could do and sent us to the ER with the notion that they may keep her overnight to run test.

This night was getting better and better.  It was now 7:30 and we still hadn't eaten dinner.  It was only an hour unitl the Munchkins' bedtime.  We made a wuick run home to snag a rushed dinner of leftovers, pack a bag in case they kept her over night, and let the dogs out to go to the bathroom.  Half an hour later we were on the road again.

I forgot to mention, the doctor is not sending us to the hospital that is 2 miles from our house....no, that would be two easy.  He wants us to go to the children's hospital that is 30+ miles from our house and 40 minutes away.

We finally arrive at the hospital at around 9:00 and luckily are seen pretty much right away.  Thank goodness for small favors.  We sit in the room (all of us are there; myself, my husband, and both munchkins) and watch TV until the doctor comes in.

She examines Munchkin 2 and informs us that they will have to do a catheter.  I feel terrible for Munchkin 2 because I have to help hold her down and she is not loving this, who would?  We are told that it will take about an hour for the results to come back so they take us to a waiting room meant especially for patients who are waiting for test results.  ON the bright side we had nice comfy recliners to sit in and a TV to watch to keep the kids entertained.

By this point Munchkin 2 is getting restless because she can't run around and Munchkin 1 is complaining about everything.  It is now about 10:00; way past their bedtime and approaching ours.  Munchkin 1 finally settles down to read a book and Munchkin 1 falls asleep in the recliner with my arm as a pillow.

About 11:00 the results are in and the doctor let's us know that their was a small amount of blood in the results but that was probably from the catheter itself and there is no infection.  However the sample has been sent for culture as well to be on the safe side.  We are to make a follow-up appointment with her pediatrician.

We went through an Urgent Care and ER, two doctors, and many hours of what feels like wasted time because we didn't get any answers and still don't know why it occurred in the first place.  We were told however that it could be a kidney problem so to "keep an eye on it".

We finally got home about midnight exhausted.  Put both Munchkins to bed then ourselves.

We woke up this morning and our usually routine commenced.  Munchkin 1 went to school, my husband to work, and Munchkins 2 and I to do our own daily routine.  I have not seen any signs of blood today but we will see how the rest of the day turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment