Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread Recipe



I made this last night and it was SO good.  It has to be the best cornbread I have EVER made.  Sorry the picture is missing a row but my family couldn't wait!  Yeah, it was that good.  Although it is a Jalapeno and cheese cornbread it is not very spicy with the amount of jalapenos I have in it, my 2 year old and 8 year old both ate it with out complaints.  However, you could spice it up more by adding more jalapenos to the mix if you wished.  Now that I have introduced the deliciousness it is now time to tell you how to make it.



Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup YELLOW cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 medium- large jalapenos

Directions:


  1. Preheat your oven to 400° F.  Spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray. (I doubled the recipe and used an 11x7 pan)
  2. Dice jalapenos into small pieces
  3. Mix together all dry ingredients.  
  4. Stir in egg, milk, and oil until moist and well combined.
  5. Mix in cheese and jalapenos
  6. Pour into pan that you prepared in step one
  7. Bake for 20- 25 minutes.  Test its doneness with a toothpick inserted in the middle, if it comes out clean it is done.   (since I doubled the recipe I have to cook it longer, about 35-40 minutes)

Hints:

  • You can add more cheese if you want but be careful on how much you add because the grease in the cheese can make the cornbread too moist so it will not form right
  • you can add more jalapenos if you want it spicier.  You can also add some juice from jarred jalapenos but again, be careful so you don't add too much extra moisture to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment