Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Garland and Gift Pack Kit from JOLLY TIME Pop Corn Review





 Every year growing up my family would cozy in the living room around the tree, listening to Christmas music, surrounded by popcorn, cranberries, needles, and thread.  Making popcorn and cranberry garland was a family activity we loved to do as a family.  It is one of the holiday memories that I still remember to this day.


JOLLY TIME Pop Corn sent me a kit with everything needed to create this special craft with my family.  The kit included JOLLY TIME Pop Corn, Habelman Cranberries, a sewing needle, spool of thread, mason jar, twine, labels, and a popcorn ball form.  Everything I needed to make memories with my family.  Needless to say I was super excited and couldn't wait to get started.


One night when my hubby was off from work we rented
How the Grinch Stole Christmas and I popped up the JOLLY TIME Pop Corn and started to prepare to spend some great family time with those I love.  Don't worry I made sure to flavor some of the JOLLY TIME Pop Corn for eating too; salt and butter go a long way.  After popping the popcorn and collecting more needles we sat down to watch our movie and make some memories.

Munchkin 1 & 2 had a blast.  Munchkin 1 was able to do his by himself but I didn't quite trust Munchkin 2 with her own needle yet, someone was bond to get hurt if I let her have a sharp object...probably me.  So Munchkin 2 helped Hubby and I with ours.....and ate the cranberries.  I have never seen anyone eat fresh, raw cranberries but I can say I now have.


Never made a garland before?  Need more direction?  You can find the instructions below.
  •  Pop the corn a day or two ahead of time so it has time to get stale.  This makes for easier stringing.  (I know I didn't do this but it really does help)
  • Thread about 1 yard of dental floss, thread, fishing line, or string onto a needle.  
  • You can tie a large knot at the end but I like to thread a cranberry or popcorn and then tie the string around it.  It feels more secure this way.
  • Make sure to have your popcorn and cranberries where everyone can reach them.  (And make sure you have a separate bowl for eating or you will run out of popcorn before the craft is done)
  • String the popcorn and cranberries onto the string in any pattern you wish.  Or just put them on randomly.  It is up to you.  That is the great thing about crafting is you make it your own.
  • Once you come pretty close to the end of the string you have two options.  1) you can leave it loose and then tie all the strings together at the end.  OR 2) you can tie it off with the last popcorn or cranberry and use all the garland separately.  (I usually do the second option)
  • Hang the garland on your tree (inside or outside) or you could even hang it on a wreath or anywhere else.  Just be aware that cranberries could stain walls and surfaces.
  • ENJOY your creations


The thing I love about making garlands is not only the family time but that it is educational as well and teaches younger kids patterns.  They don't have to stay on pattern though because there is no wrong way to make a garland...as long as you have fun!

The JOLLY TIME Pop Corn was delicious too.  We do not buy a lot of popcorn but JOLLY TIME Popcorn was super yummy and didn't get soggy when I added the butter which was a big plus because I can't stand soggy Popcorn.  The Habelman cranberries were all plump and a delicious color of red.  This was surprising because many times you get cranberries and many of them are shriveled or so over ripe they are ready to pop and ooze if you touch them.  Munchkin 1 & 2 will attest that they are delicious.  As will Bruiser (one of our dogs); he stole a garland off the tree already.  Which is one reason it is good to have them ties separately.


JOLLY TIME Pop Corn has many awesome recipes that I can't wait to try as well.  This one looks especially yummy. 

Double Chocolate Popcorn Balls
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 8 cups freshly popped JOLLY TIME Pop Corn
  • 1 cup "M&M's"® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Baking Bits
Here's How:
Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and cocoa in medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
Add JOLLY TIME Pop Corn, stirring until evenly coated.
Remove from heat. Stir in "M&M's"® pieces. Cool slightly.
Shape into 2" balls.
Yield: 18 balls

You can find more awesomely delicious recipes here.


With the mason jar and some of the left over kernels I made a cute little gift for my Mother-in-law who loves popcorn.  It was simple and low-cost but will make a big impact.  You could pair this gift with a bag of Habelman cranberries for an extra special gift.

"Like" JOLLY TIME Pop Corn on Facebook

Follow JOLLY TIME Pop Corn on Twitter

Jenn, Mom Of Two Munchkins was provided with a free sample of this product to review, and was under no obligation to review it.  Nor was Jenn, Mom Of Two Munchkins under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.  I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment