Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Most Original Birds Nest

Today I was outside trimming our tree and saw an old birds nest on on of the branches.  I am sure you are thinking that it is not unusual to find a birds nest in a tree so what is the big deal and why are you writing about it?  Right? Well it isn't unusual to find a birds nest in a tree, I agree.

As I continued to trim the tree I noticed a bit of green sticking out of the nest. 
It was the green, plastic netting they use in sod.  I thought it was an original way to hold a nest together and probably very effective.  How clever of the birds.

But as I cut down the branches with the nest in it I realized that the entire nest was made up of different plastic types strings!  I could not believe it.  It seemed the only part of the nest that was organic material that is natural for a bird to build a nest with was the bit inside the nest.  The white string reminded me of the type of plastic threading that is in carpet. 

 

Suddenly my neat discovery was not so neat and had turned really sad.  I couldn't help but be utterly amazed at the materials this little bird had used for its nest.  It was almost entirely made out of plastic!  I had never seen anything like it.

I try to be environmentally conscious and try to do what I can to improve my carbon footprint.  It was sad to see that this bird had found more unnatural materials to use than natural ones for its nest.  That cannot be good for the birds or any animals.  I think we all need to take a step back and look at our environmental responsibilities.  If we want our planet to last for our children we need to take care of it and seeing this bird nest it is evident we are not doing that in any kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment